Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Helping Out

One of the hardest things for me to handle since Mark has been gone is to accept help. Friends and family cared about him too, and while I've understood it helps them to do something to help his family, I've never been one to accept help graciously or easily. Which is definitely not one of my best characteristics. However, friends and family have ignored me and helped out anyway.

How do I thank the ladies who sat in the waiting room of the ICU, not knowing whether I'd have time to speak with them, just being there in case I needed something? The people who took the time to bring food to my house so my mom didn't have to cook for 15 or more people each night? The ladies who brought snacks to the hospital so I wouldn't have to leave the hospital room for food? Who brought me a toothbrush/toothpaste combo? The church family who prayed without ceasing, and who still pray for us today? Those who brought me fountain Diet Cokes? Who still check on me from time to time to see if I need any help? Who came to Mark's memorial even though they didn't know him well, but wanted to support my family? The moms who gave my children sweet memorials to honor their dad? It is humbling to have so many who reached out to my family, and ignored what I said. They knew I needed help, even though I was reluctant to ask for assistance.

These people don't expect thank-yous, don't expect compliments, but gave out of their hearts. I asked my parents, how do I say thank you? How can I express how much they have meant to me? All I can do is pay it forward.

So, in honor of those who have cared for my family, thank you from the bottom of my heart. A cliched term, but a very honest feeling in my case. And know that my life, and the children's lives, have been touched by your caring, and we plan to pay it forward wherever, and whenever, we can.

2 comments:

  1. God loves a thankful heart, and you, Miss Jennifer, and your grateful, precious heart are extremely loved and cared for! You were so kind and gracious, even as you were so very strong in your "Mother Bear" mode at the hospital, and then through all the shock, grief, loss, and 'keeping it all together' for Maggie and James. You have been the perfect example of how all of us should handle ourselves, if and when, we find ourselves in your shoes one day. So, the appreciation and love is mutual, Girlfriend! It was an honor to 'be there' for you, and you owe us nothing more than your continued presence in our lives and hearts...You humbe me!

    ReplyDelete