Wednesday, February 19, 2014

My First Wednesday Hodgepodge



1. What's the biggest change since your childhood in the way people think or act?
 I remember running around outside without my mom ever really knowing where I was. I knew I had to be home by dinner, and that was about it. She'd yell for me outside if I needed to be home sooner. These days, I'd never dream of letting my child do that as I don't feel it is safe, which is sad. My children have had less freedom than I did, because the world doesn't feel as safe now.

2. The Olympic Biathlon involves cross country skiing broken up with either two or four rounds of target shooting. Which part of that would stress you out more? Or would you love them both equally?

 The skiing would stress me out, as I've never learned to like exercise. The shooting would be fun - my grandpa was a hunter, and he'd try to teach me to shoot at targets, but I wasn't very good.

3. February is National Canned Food Month...what is your most often purchased canned food item?  What was in the last can you opened?

 Diced tomatos - my current favorite dish to make for myself is linguine w/diced tomatos, chicken, onions, and parmesan cheese. Throw in a bit of cracked red pepper, and it is delicious. The last can I opened was actually diced tomatos, although it was for taco soup.

4. What river (anywhere in the world) would you most like to cruise?

 I grew up canoeing on the Sangamon River. That would be fun to do again. However, for a cruise, probably the mighty Mississippi - that would be pretty sweet.

5. It's the middle of the night and you can't sleep...what do you do? Count sheep? Toss and turn? Watch television? Or do you get up and do something productive?

 This happens to me frequently. I usually do a combination of productive and wasting time, either doing laundry or the dishes and watching tv or playing on the computer.

6. How important is keeping your cool?

 It is more important, and I should do so more often. My children definitely chill out quicker if I don't start yelling when upset with them.

7. I've got white stuff on the brain so why not run with it? White lie, wave the white flag, white knuckle it, white wash a situation, or white as a sheet...which phrase could most recently apply to your own life in some way?

 Probably white lie, unfortunately. When I struggle in life, I don't like people to know, as I don't want people to feel sorry for me. So I don't share and say all is going fine when asked.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
My weekends are so busy, and I really want one where nothing is planned and I can knit and catch up on my favorite shows. Maybe in April!

4 comments:

  1. So happy to have you join us for Hodgepodge...I'm your newest follower! I am in total agreement with your answer to #1. I grew up the same way and since I had my girls, I've been very protective of them with all the stuff that goes on these days. Times sure have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Hodgepodge! I'm so glad you joined in this week. If you visit around to some of the other blogs, I know they'll visit back. It's a friendly group : ) Your chicken dish sounds good. I'm a big fan of red pepper flakes. Hope you enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you joined the Hodgepodge! I think keeping cool is important--I've never seen someone who was sorry that they held their temper. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the Hodgepodge! It's always nice to 'meet' new friends.
    You are so right, the world isn't as safe as it used to be--for any of us.
    I hope you get a relaxing weekend, soon :)

    ReplyDelete