Sunday, April 26, 2009

Fishing is Fun, Really!

As anyone who knows me will tell you, worms and I do not get along. So what was I doing near a fish you ask? Why, I will happily tell you - the children and I went fishing with my dad and grandpa this weekend. And my 93 year old grandpa put us all to shame!

The children heard their grandpa and grandpa-great talking about fishing, and insisted they should go fishing too - there went my plans for a relaxing Saturday! Needless to say, my dad needed me to go along, as Grandpa would need a little help - not that I am much help, seeing as I flat out REFUSE to bait the hook or remove a fish! (I had a secret weapon, though - my grandpa said he would do it for me if my dad wouldn't!) So out we trekked to Mr. Lenz's pond for an afternoon of fishing.

Before my dad could cast his own line, the princess caught a fish almost as soon as her line was in the water. Here comes her grandpa to take that fish off the hook - then, he went back to bait and cast his own line, yet oops! Princess catches another fish! Now, a considerate daughter would attempt to remove the fish for her daughter herself - but I have not been called a brat for nothing!

As much trepidation as I had for getting dirty and touching slimy things, we had the most fun that afternoon as we've had in a long time. Not only were we able to spend time with two of my most favorite people, but the children learned how to cast their own lines - and are quite good at it too. When the fish stopped biting, we sang our fish songs - and wouldn't you know, the princess caught another fish after we finished singing! The big guy was able to spend time with his grandpa teaching him the proper 'jerk and reel in' method for catching a fish, and I was able to watch my grandpa spend the afternoon doing something he just loves doing.

The sweetest moment for me was watching my grandpa casting out for the big bass that kept eluding them all afternoon, who actually jumped off my dad's hook, while my dad was packing up everything else. While my dad put up all the other poles, put the caught fish in the bucket, packed away the fishing tackle, my grandpa kept casting out. At 93 yrs. old, my grandpa still sets the wonderful example of how to keep trying. It was a long afternoon for him, but I just loved watching him fish, and I loved watching my dad in the role of being a son. There is something about watching my own dad be the child (albeit the grown-up child) that was touching - I could see where my dad became such a good father - he had a very good role model.

May they both keep fishing, and may I be around to spend more Saturday afternoons touching mud and muck. Maybe next time I'll even bait a hook! (You're right - that won't happen!)

No comments:

Post a Comment