Thursday, April 23, 2009

I Am the Mother of a Virtuoso

Think the title of this post is a bit much?! Perhaps, but I am just so proud of my girl.


Tonight was her last orchestra concert that I will be able to attend - the Fine Arts Festival happens when I am out of town. But I was just so proud to see how much she has improved her bowing and playing since the beginning of the year.

What I am most proud of is that she has stuck to violin playing for two years now. She practices with a minimum of fuss, and even gets up super early two days a week to play in the Fiddlers group - just for fun. She definitely didn't inherit her joy in playing from her mother - who gave up the violin after just a few months!

What is so funny about all this is that I have never liked classical music. Growing up, my parents would play it in the car and I would constantly complain about it. Even now, I ask my mom to turn it off! But there is something about hearing a sixth grade orchestra playing, especially a sixth grade orchestra that has the most precious 11-yr old girl playing violin, and it is the sweetest music ever heard.

So this is my blessing for today - the joy of hearing music, even classical music, from the violin of my precious girl.

1 comment:

  1. You are hilarious Jennifer! Maggie is just taking after her Aunt Kristin who played the Bass Viol from 5th grade through Senior Year. Go Maggie!!!!

    ReplyDelete